Monday, November 29, 2010

Makin' trees

On mah mind: Fractals again!? I can't get enough of these babies. Found some code online for a random tree generator using a fairly straightforward iterative process involving a rotation transformation for each new level of branches. It has a randomized component in it for the angles of the tree branches, which gives it a natural effect rather than completely uniform (very unrealistic). This is the same technique used to generate forests in video games or computer-animated movies... Hire me Pixar? I just LOVE how math governs the growth of trees, ferns, flowers, mountains, coastlines, and so many other natural features of this earth. Yes, I think about it, well, all the time.

Here is one tree that I made on Matlab tonight. Stay tuned for many an idea/project/surprise I have for more fractals............

No comments:

Post a Comment